Coronoa Virus UPDATE #4
March 13, 2020
Dear Parents & Guardians,
Over the last week things have moved rather quickly around the guidance of protecting ourselves from the COVID-19 virus. New restrictions have resulted in canceled community events and school closures resulting in a new mindset around social distance.
As you know the health and safety of our students, staff, and families remains our top priority. The Sonoma County Office of Education, Center for Disease Control and the county health department continue to monitor the impacts of COVID-19 in and around our community at large. Through this monitoring process, the experts are closely watching a potential COVID-19 community spread. Health experts have indicated should a community spread of the virus occur, or to avoid a potential community spread, it would likely result in school closures. Should CDC, the county health department, or other government agency make the necessary decision to close our school, staff and families will be notified via our HOME ALERT system.
AVS is in the process of planning for the possibility of a school closure. Districts across the United States which have already experienced a COVID-19 school closure have closed for a minimum of two weeks, and in many cases have projected beyond the two weeks depending on the level COVID-19 community spread containment plans. If we need to close AVS in
response to a local case of COVID-19 or close our school as a precautionary measure to limit community spread the following steps will be taken.
- Families will be informed via HOME ALERT on the AVS closure dates.
- Day 1 of the closure will be a Teacher workday designed for staff to finalize “distance learning” materials for students to complete during the school closure.
- A scheduling pickup of e-learning materials will be communicated with families via email.
- E-materials/curriculum will include a tech device/charger, student workbooks, or course work packets. The materials will need to be returned upon school re-entry.
- Individual classroom teachers will communicate electronically with parents as needed.
- During such closure, a complete sanitation cleaning of the school will take place.
This is unquestionably a difficult and uncertain time for all of us. Our goal is to keep everyone safe and informed during this time. We will continue to do all we can to support the teaching and learning of our children should we enter into a forced school closure.
We appreciate your understanding and will update you immediately on any information that comes our way regarding an AVS closure. Please also review the additional COVID-19 materials from the CDC. In the interim, try to enjoy your family time over our Spring Break recess, and let’s all continue to hope for the best as this process unfolds. Please stay safe and continue to take care of yourself and your family.